Renew Australia works with local communities to catalyse creative industries and improve main streets and central business districts by leveraging underutilised spaces and transforming them into creative hubs.
Why Renew Australia?
Renew Australia has developed contracts and insurance systems, engagement and consultation strategies, guides, support structures and a suite of tools to help local communities develop Renew programs and transform their vacant spaces
Renew Australia strives to:
- Enliven and activate streets, precincts or towns that are struggling or in a period of change by taking otherwise empty shops and offices and incubating creative initiatives in them
- Create opportunities for creative and start up businesses, not for profits and social enterprises to trial an idea with little to no overhead
Benefits to property owners and managers
- The for lease or sale signs stay up, and the agent continues to promote the property to potential long term paying tenants
- Participants are on a 30-day rolling license agreement; therefore, 30 days’ notice can be given at any time
- Renew Australia provides public liability and broken glass insurance for the property
- The participants pay for utilities and look after the property
- The property is open, engaging and cared for, rather than boarded-up reducing the chance of vandalism, increasing the appeal of the property and assisting potential long term tenants visualise their own business in the space
- The owner’s ordinarily empty property will contribute to creating a vibrant and marketable precinct to potential commercial tenants or purchasers and increasing the wider community appeal.
List a space
Benefits to the community
- Avoidance or mitigation of blight and anti-social behavior through occupation and activation of otherwise empty space
- Improved business and community confidence by keeping the street, precinct or area ‘alive’
- Skills development provided for start ups and creatives to help capacity build
- Creation of jobs through start up businesses
- An opportunity for local ideas, businesses and practices to trial an idea without significant overheads and long term commitments
- Improved regional ‘brand value’, tourism and inward investment.